Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Happy Ending to a Stressful Day

We arrived at clinic today around 8:30 filled with mixed emotions. Our anxiety levels were heightened as Colin's sleeping routines changed dramatically from last Wednesday through Monday. Rather than pulling out every trick he had to avoid bedtime, he was asking to go to bed. He had also complained that his leg hurt on Monday. On one hand, we knew that steroids were a likely reason for his change in behavior but we were also very concerned based on continued low counts over the past few weeks. However, by last night, (a couple days after his last steroid dose) he was back to his normal self which gave us some relief.

Colin was a trooper as usual and went through the normal routines, including the needle sticks for his blood draw without a problem. We then quickly settled down with a movie, books and toys and waited for his blood counts to come back, praying for good results. Colin's buddy Dylan and mom were there which was a helpful distraction in easing the anxiety we felt.

Unfortunately, his ANC remained low (600) and Colin got ready for a bone marrow aspirate. By 11am, we were in the procedure room. He did very well during the procedure and he was slugging down apple juice and inhaling a banana soon after. Soon after that, he was up and back to activity table.

We were told it could take up to 24 hrs for the test results on the bone marrow although they would try to get them to us today if possible. (A big thank you to the staff as they were very supportive to us throughout the day). By 1 pm, we were home, trying to keep ourselves busy.

At a little past 4, we got the call. The lab tests were in and everything looks good. No relapse. No leukemia. We both cried some happy tears, had a family hug, and breathed a sigh of relief. Although we are still unsure what is causing Colin's counts to remain low, it appears to be something viral. So, back next week for a recheck. We will continue to withhold his home chemo until his ANC counts come back up to a minimum of 750.

Minutes after the news we packed in the van and made our way to the toy store where the kids were able to pick out a few toys. Colin was very happy as he's been asking to go to a store for a while now however we tend to avoid them when counts are low. But, this was something to celebrate! The evening ended with a home cooked meal from Auntie, Uncle Joe and Frankie along with Easter egg coloring.

Thank you for all the support, love and prayers over the past couple of weeks. Please keep them coming in hopes for higher counts next week. It's just about 10:30 so we're going to call it a day, a happy ending!

Love to all,
Mike & Heather

No comments: